Sunday, September 14, 2008

THE SIMS 2

Category: Games

Publisher: EA games
Developer: Maxis

OVERVIEW
The Sims 2 which is a sequel to the extremely popular The Sims is a strategic life simulation game for PC platform in which you can create people and make them go through the motions of life. It challenges your planning and organizational skills and has no fixed storyline or ending. Creating and customizing neighborhoods and creating people, called Sims are some of the important features of the game.


INSTALLATION
I have never played the original Sims. I remember hearing about Sims in my high school days when PC games were catching peoples’ fancy like never before. The concept sounded revolutionary and I was already addicted to tycoon games (which though not exactly similar, also required the basic planning skills as in Sims). Alas, neither had I the resources to buy such a game nor the “download the damn thing” kind of knowledge. I forgot about it in due course and except for the occasional controversy (over the Sims HotDate mod which was too unusual a concept for people to handle) we pretty much never crossed paths.
When I got my hands on Sims 2, I was nothing short of thrilled. Bored out of my wits alternating between FPS and Solitaire, this was like discovering Kryptonite. The Installation was smooth but elaborate. But, Maxis (now taken over by EA) has a balm for the impatience of people like me- a mini game cum quiz, while the game silently installed in the background. The mini game was a simple memory game where you have to match similar images in order to make them disappear. Once you’re through with the game some amusing questions (“How many goths are buried in Bella Goth’s backyard”) pop up. How quickly you finish the game indicates how old your Sims will grow. Screen shots were displayed while you played the game on one corner of the game window.
What miffed me about this mini game scenario was that the game went on even after the installation was complete. I know it’s a really small detail, albeit one they should have payed attention to ‘coz no one wants to keep playing a mini game when the real McCoy is in the picture. I had to manually close the window.

GAMEPLAY
The game begins with a really nice 3D video which is like an introduction to the Sim way of life. On my system it took negligible time to load ( Huah ha ha ha….2Gb RAM!! Okay. I know some of you have better… Hmmmph) and I was acquainted with three different neighborhood options to play with- Pleasantview, Strangetown and Veronaville. Pleasantview, I’m told was also present in the original Sims. So, I started with that.
Pleasantview has seven different families with histories and objects of their own. The Sims have personality traits common to any urban society- from the town Cassanova, to the perpetually broke and recently widowed single mother, who’s aptly called Brandi Broke. You can also move in two other families who are not residents of Pleasantville but contemplating moving in. Apart from this you can custom create your own family and move them in, which is something I’ll elaborate later.

Pleasantview, true to its name, looks and sounds pleasant enough, with the typical suburban feel to it. The houses are pretty and the view of the river, with the yachts, the clouds and the colorful parachutes is quite nice. Cars and school buses ply on the roads. I played the game on Windows Vista Ultimate with a patch downloaded from the internet and found that some of the vehicles simply disappeared at junctions. When I played the game on Windows XP professional however, there was no such occurrence.
The second neighborhood Strangetown is a tiny town in the middle of the desert co-inhabited by aliens and humans; rings a bell, doesn’t it? In t
his “Area 51”esque town, there are remains of a flying saucer, evil scientists and inventers and alien-human families. However, their needs and wants remain the same, that of being accepted amidst their fellow beings. The Sims of Strangetown routinely get abducted by aliens and underground labs are not an uncommon sight.

The third neighborhood you can
play in is called Veronaville. It took a while to hit me, but Veronaville is actually a take on the Shakespearean Romeo and Juliet. The neighborhood story reads of a feud between the Capps and the Montys, a modernized or may be ‘Sim’ ized Capulet and Monatgue and the blossoming love affair of their young children Romeo and Juliette. The only difference is perhaps that the story can actually have a happy ending if play your cards (oops, Sims) right. Veronaville houses various other characters immortalized by Shakespeare’s plays like Hermia, Oberon, etc.
You can also create your own neighborhood from a list of landscapes and decorate the town with various adornments
like flying balloons or even Dinosaur remains. Houses of various kinds and suiting various pockets and requirements can be placed in a new neighborhood or an existing one. You can also create people and families and that my dear friends, was one of the funnest things I’ve done.
You can create people of almost any proportion and face type. You can decide what make up they wear a
nd what kind of clothes will look best. Skin tone, eye color, spectacles, beards- you name it, they’ve got it. Add to that personality types and star signs, and you’ve got the kind of Sim you want.
Once you have your Sim family you can move them into a home. Once the Sims have moved in you can custom design the house which I thoroughly enjoyed. You can do the walls and the furniture, the lights and the kitchen. I particularly liked the neon stork and ended up placing one in almost every other room.

Now, for the ‘not so good’ part: Once you’ve started playing, there is no turning back. I played badly the first few times with one of the families and ended up getting a family member killed in a fire. So I wanted to restart the complete game. But, I had no idea how to do it. I tried out all the options, but in vain. One of the forums I went to online, suggests you remove your saved games from the folder in which the game is installed. But, I couldn’t figure out which the saved games were, because they weren’t explicitly named so. Whatever, it isn’t exactly a breeze to figure that out.
Secondly, the game crashes ‘n’ number of times on my system (Intel dual core, 2Gb RAM, Windows Vista Ultimate OS). I don’t know if the problem is with the game or the patch I got from the net. So, I’ll give it the benefit of doubt.
I had a bit of trouble with the camera angles. But then, I wasn’t too patient with the tutorial thingy, which, by the way, is quite informative. I would suggest a swift look through of the tutorials before you start. For those who think they are pro gamers after playing a few games( like Miss Overconfident here), well you may have to return to the tutorials for some enlightenment.

GRAPHICS, VIDEO AND SOUND EFFECTS
I played the game on my system primarily, which, as I have mentioned before does not have a dedicated graphics card. In a 1024x768 resolution, with medium detailing the game ran fine most of the time. But, camera movements were reasonably slow. In the 800x600 mode with low detailing it ran more or less without any glitches.
Obviously, since I enjoyed the game so much, I checked it out on a system with a dedicated GPU, Nvidia GeForce 6600 (I know it’s not exactly a new one) and the graphics were really decent. The reflectivity of the water, the detailing on individual Sims and no jagged edges- to say the least, I liked the effect. Considering the current standard, I am expecting a helluva lot from Sims3.
The sounds are pretty nice. The background score is quite soothing. While you’re playing you can listen to various genres of music on a music systems With a tricky little bit of work in your “My Documents” folder you can add your own mp3s( check the link for cheats, hints and walkthroughs). I especially liked the TV in the game. There premade videos for the Sims to watch and the news channels are too convincingly akin to our news channels in real life; so are the workout videos.
On the whole, the sound quite complements the game. Nothing more, nothing less.

WINDING UP….
Sims 2 is absolutely addictive. Since, it’s an open ended game( one that has no concluding section, finale, blah blah), you can simply go on playing. I won’t say you’ll never get bored of it, but it is engrossing enough for you to forget your examination, creative enough for you to forget your pencils and paintbrushes for a while, challenging enough to at least forget about not getting into family life and turning ascetic (at least for some time) and sweet enough to at least once go Aww…

STUFF TO WATCH OUT FOR
1. Ghosts in the Goth family’s backyard
2. Decorating the Sims’ houses
3. The news channel on the Sim TV
4. The alien abduction in Strangetown.
5. The community lots- parks, malls et al.
6. And finally pregnant men in Strangetown( hahah…really)





LINKS
http://thesims2.ea.com/
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/thesims2/hints.html
http://www.aroundthesims2.com/






1 comment:

Jayvardhan Patil (Jay) said...

I can see you have taken too much efforts to review this.

Can you elaborate how it is better/similar than Microsoft Age Of Empires?


Jay
http://www.jaypatil.com
http://life.jaypatil.com